Thursday, December 11, 2008

Zoomlian Games: If I Had a Rutabaga


This is another game born out of difficult circumstances.

I was in the emergency room with Klenda. She was feeling much better thanks to a liter of IV fluids and anti nausea medication, and she wanted to Go Home Now. Of course, we couldn't until all the paperwork had gone through....

So I told her, "You know, if I had a rutabaga, a really BIG rutabaga, I'd carve it into a boat and sail you home right now."

She answered, "Well, if I had a rutabaga, a really BIG rutabaga, I'd carve it into a giant squid, just for you." (Isn't that just the sweetest thing?!)

This is a great game for the random pauses of life when your kids really want to be doing something or want something they can't have.

Some things we would have done if we had rutabagas (some require Very Large Rutabagas):
Carved a play castle,
Spun it like a top,
Carved a working rocking horse,
Carved a working rutabaga plane,
Made paper from it and used the top as a quill and the juice as ink and write out Carl Sandberg's Rootabaga Stories,
Used it as a ball,
Made a chess set,
Carved and played a violin (Stradabagius),
Steamed, mashed, and eaten it.

What would you do if you had a rutabaga?

2 comments:

Garden State Kate said...

I do hope she is feeling better.
And please tell her to make sure you photograph her Rutabaga derived Giant Squid for my Giant Squid fan. ;-)

Tracy said...

Hmmm, I think that if I had a rutabaga (a really big rutabaga!) I would carve it into a trophy for the Most Creative Mom Ever and give it to you!