Sunday, April 5, 2009

Sunday Gospel Dessert: Weeks 5 and Palm Sunday

Week 5 had the Gospel which included "Unless the grain of wheat fall to the ground..." So I did a giant filled cookie to look like an ear of wheat. Alas, it spread out to look like this. But it was very tasty!

I made the filling by soaking raisins until plump, then adding candied orange and lemon peel, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and vanilla, than pulsing in the food processor (with the soaking water) until I had a smooth soft paste. I tasted and added brown sugar until I thought it had the right "rich sweetness". The cookie was a standard sugar cookie with cream cheese for half the butter and powdered sugar for half the sugar. This gave it a lovely texture and cut the sweetness a bit so the filling could shine. I should have used more flour to make the dough stiffer (wouldn't have spread), but I was in a hurry!

Today was Palm Sundae.

No comments: