Monday, October 17, 2011

US History: the Something 70s

And weren't the 70s something?  I ask you, just take a look at that collar! (DISCLAIMER: I was born in 1970).

Kid: I'm really looking forward to this decade.

Me: Why?

Kid: Disco!

Me: (stunned incomprehension).

So we watched excerpts of Saturday Night Fever on You Tube.  The things I will do for education!!! And, yes, you can thank me for not posting it.

Doing these more recent decades has been interesting.  On the one hand, they aren't in any history books suitable for kids (that I could find).  On the other hand, we have tons of primary sources floating around (and I believe that is the most dignified thing ever to have been said about Saturday Night Fever - it's a primary source!).  I actually found Wikipedia to be the best comprehensive source.

What else besides disco?  More Cold War, of course!  And the energy crisis (which seems to me the beginning of today's environmental movement), the Iranian hostage crisis, more Women's Lib, Sesame Street, a string of bad Disney movies, Skylab, the eradication of smallpox (my brother, a year older than I, was among the last to be vaccinated),  the Walkman, the beginnings of VCRs, personal computers, and microwave ovens (although my family had none of these until the 80s), the rise of women in the workplace, crock pots, latchkey kids, no-fault divorce, and even more societal change!

Oh, and I missed bell bottoms, VW beetles, and plaid shirts.
UPDATED:  I don't mean I MISS these things, just that I forgot to talk about them in the unit, despite the fact that they are among the things I remember the most clearly from that decade...

No comments: