Thursday, July 5, 2012

Social Climbing

 At the end of June, there is still some snow at 5500 feet on Mt. Ranier.

Here we are in front of the snow near the parking lot.  As we climbed, it was much deeper (20-40 ft), but it's like swimming in the ocean, as long as you're on top, the depth doesn't matter so much.

Although, it was interesting to see normal sized trees and then realize you are actually looking at the tops of giant sized trees...

Here is Klenda in a hole near a tree trunk.





I also did not expect the foothills to be snow capped!  The view was really incredible!


 Klenda, feeling snow deprived after our warm winter, made a snow angel.

Incidentally, for a lot of the climb, we had to take off our jackets because we were so hot.  My brother had told me this, but I had found it hard to believe!
We made it!!!

We ate lunch, kicked back and relaxed (and, in my case, got sunburned).











The climb up had been steep enough that we were able to slide back down (glissade, my brother told me, a very nice word for sliding down a mountain on your rump, though I suppose more talented sliders may do it differently).



No comments: