Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Flood

 We have been having torrential rain on and off for the last month (it's a roaring thunderstorm as I type this).  Most of July was normal, but we had the biggest flood I can remember seeing in my town in June.

Our usually small and placid Indian Creek (named for the many Native American artifacts found near it) became about a quarter of a mile wide and flooding our forest and spilling into Lake Artemesia.


The houses were all ok, I think, and only a few roads in my town were flooded, thanks to a system of flood plains.

I had always wondered why certain parts of the town were left undeveloped, and now I know!

It was a good opportunity to teach flood safety.  The water in some places looked like a giant puddle, but it's never safe to play in a flood!

According to my rain gauge, and we had close to a foot of rain (28 cm) in one day, and another 7-8 inches (20 cm) the next.

The storms this month tend to only drop 3-4 inches (10 cm) at a shot, a much more manageable amount!

No comments: