Wednesday, October 9, 2019

How to Build an Easy Ramp

Our house doesn't have a lot of steps to get inside.

The front door has two steps to get onto the porch and a sort of half step to actually get in the door.  There is no railing, nor any good way to make a railing.

The side door only has one step, but it's about 7 inches tall.  This is easier if you have someone that has trouble with steps.


On a good day, my dad can manage that step, but on a bad day, I don't want him to have to try, so we built a ramp.

If you haven't used a wheelchair, that probably looks like an enormous ramp for one step, but it's actually a tiny bit shy of the recommended "one foot of ramp for every inch of height."

The ramp itself is just over 6 feet long instead of 7 because I wanted to leave enough room at the end for him to turn his chair (the car port is only 10 feet wide).

I had a hard time finding simple directions to build a ramp, so I'm putting this out there!

Materials: I bought one sheet of flooring plywood, two 2 x 6 boards, some nails, and some traction tape.

How to (short version):

I had the store cut the plywood to 3 feet by 6 feet (keeping the scrap wood).

I cut the 2 x 6s into 4 (6 foot) diagonals.

I nailed the 3 x 6 foot board onto the diagonals.

I nailed the scrap wood onto the bottom of the ramp.

(optional) I spray painted the ramp and added traction tape.

More detail:

The hard part was cutting the correct angle on the 2 x 6s to make the supports. The easiest thing would be to start by cutting them to a 6 foot length.

I used 2 thumbtacks and a length of string to mark the angle.  I put one thumbtack at the corner of the board and put the other tack 6 feet away on the other edge (forming a diagonal line).  I rubbed the line with chalk and then snapped the line against the board so that it left a clear line of the diagonal.   I cut along that line with a circular saw (use a blade with large teeth).

Each of those cuts gives you two 6 foot diagonal boards, so, when you do the second board, you'll have 4 supports.

You space them evenly and nail the top board to those supports.

Now, the thing to remember is that the plywood flooring is about a half inch thick.  Your supports are 5.5 inches tall (2 x 6 is actually 1.5 x 5.5).  I needed another half inch, so I used the scrap wood to make a bottom for the ramp.  This gave it the correct height  (6.5 inches was close enough) and added stability.

Optional: I added a metal edge on one side as a guide to keep wheels from going over the edge). 
I also spray painted it to make it look more finished.  My dad has some trouble with his eyes, so I painted it white for high contrast, then oversprayed it lightly with blue to make dirt show less. 

I finished up by adding traction tape.

I keep saying "I" but this ended up being a home school project!  And a big thanks to my mom and dad for teaching my enough carpentry to make stuff!

No comments: