Monday, October 5, 2020

It Must Be Autumn

 

 It's funny: as a kid, I don't think autumn was as big a deal as it is now.

Possibly the military base and the small town where I grew up in New Jersey weren't that into it, and I certainly never heard of pumpkin spice until I lived in Maryland after I was married.

 

 

 

That being said, we definitely loved autumn!  

The crisp fall days and falling leaves are wonderful when you had no air conditioning in the sticky days of August!

We also loved pumpkins, but only as jack o lanterns in the last week of October.  

And in cans near Thanksgiving!  I never heard of anyone making pumpkin pie from an actual pumpkin until I was an adult.

We also didn't go apple picking, except as part of a school trip.


 

Which makes it all the funnier that my favorite fall activities now are apple picking and finding new edible (yet decorative) pumpkin varieties!

We are missing apple picking this year (2020...), but I've picked up a few dozen pounds from the store and we've made pies, apple sauce, and some apple butter, with more on the way.


And... did I mention I love pumpkin spice everything?

And I still love the crisp sunny days and our leaves are just starting to turn!

No comments: