Friday, March 1, 2019

Seven Quick Takes: The Weird, the Wonderful, and Lent




 1.  It was the strangest thing.We were walking through the woods and saw robins throwing leaves.  They were on the forest floor, very deliberately picking up leaves and throwing them vigorously into piles!

We went over to investigate and found the places where the birds had been: small patches of bare ground with a little leaf pile next to each spot... and a worm hole in the exact center of each bare patch!



 2. Klenda continues to do very well at art school,  She has become known  as "The Quirky One."  For some reason.

They were painting a white ball surrounded by colored scarves (an exercise in perceiving reflected color).

She put this face on the ball, which I think shows hidden depths of creativity, skill, and creepiness.




3. We had slipped into a rut in our dinner time conversation.  We would start out talking about our day, and quickly move over to what was happening in a video or computer game or movie.  I wanted to broaden the horizons a bit.

What did I want to talk about?  I came up with a list and put it on a spinner.  You may notice that all the topics I found annoying are also on the spinner.

We don't spin the spinner, just move the hand one space each day.  The question jar is a jar filled with dinner conversation topics that I got here and here.



And, yes, we also have a spinner to show if we prayed before meals because one family member got tired of others asking at each meal (usually after prayers), "Did we pray yet?"

We're a bit weird like that.


 4. Now that it's March, I guess it's time to mention Valentine's Day!  

One of the question jar questions was : what is your favorite family tradition?

Mine is everyone making valentines for each other!

We go around the table and read them one at a time. So fun!  So much love!




 
5. I had a bone infection in my jaw and had to have minor surgery and a tooth removed.  They are going to put another one back (dental implant), which makes it feel a little less like I'm just losing body parts as I age, but it still hasn't been the most fun.

Every time I want to complain, I think of this meme (from Lit Catholic Memes), and it cheers me up!

6. Lent is almost here!  At long last! It feel weird having this much time between Christmas and Lent.  Also, given that I can't eat much right now (see #5) it feels like it's already Lent!  I'll do a separate post about this year's Lent, but if you're looking for Lent ideas, here you go.  This is the poster from 3 years ago, but, given the 3 year cycle, this year's poster will be similar.

7. Can I just say that shoebills creep me out?

When we were at the Natural History Museum this week, we stumbled onto a wonderful new exhibit tucked back behind the dinosaur exhibit on the second floor.

The actual exhibit is a selection of fascinating things from all over the Smithsonian collections, and we loved it!

But seriously, these birds are each about four feet of creepy!

Have a great weekend!  More fun with Kelly!

1 comment:

refabulous said...

I love the dinner conversation spinner idea... may have to steal that one. I'm at my wit's end with Lego and Minecraft-centered conversations. And the bone/tooth ordeal sounds painful! I hope you have a full and speedy recovery!