Tuesday, August 21, 2018

The Class About Everything I like



While they were off at Scout Camp, I did lesson planning for my Fall high school science class.  I am on a 4 year cycle: Biology, Chemistry, Anatomy and Physiology, and...  Well, four years ago I actually skipped a year!

The original plan was to do Physics,but I wasn't able to figure out how to do a "real" high school level Physics without a fair amount of math, and my actual students range from freshmen to seniors (actually  have a couple of 8th graders right now, also), presumably with a wide range of mathematical abilities.

I loved Physics!  But I took it in college, not in high school.  My fourth (optional) year of high school science was a very fun survey course covering four different branches of science.   I loved that class! 

So I am doing Astronomy, Geology, Oceanography/Marine Biology, and Genetics.

Somewhere in the middle of planning the classes I realized: this is actually just a class about everything I personally am fascinated with.

Yes, it does seem shamefully self indulgent to do a two hour class on cephalopods, but I think they are amazing!!  I mean, giant squid!!!

No comments: