Thursday, December 1, 2011

Happy Advent!

It used to annoy me that all the Advent Calendars started on December first, while Advent itself only managed that trick once every seven years or so.  But I'm feeling muuuuch better now!

Actually, I love Advent, but now I find it's nice to ease into it. I've found I need to do 6 Advent things a day so that everyone can do something each day.  Plus everyone has a paper calendar of their own this year.  Plus putting hay in the manger.  Plus, to start out, I need to strip all the walls... I love it all, but it's tough to do from a standing start.

We got back from Mumpy and Pa's Saturday night (Blue Streak blew the radiator on the way back, so we got home late).  On Sunday I went digging through the Advent and Christmas stuff in the back basement in a wild effort to get my act together.  I wonder if this is a metaphor for what the Second Coming is going to be like that for me...

Anyway, our 6 daily activities this year are:

1. The Advent House, full of Playmobil nativity figures and candy (6 pieces plus a figure behind each door).

2. The velcro calendar: faded and missing a piece or two, but we love it!

3. The Jesse Tree.  This is doubling as our Bible time since each day goes through a part of salvation history in both the Old and New Testaments.

4. The ornament: a new Christmas decoration picked out each day!

5. Lighting (or just blowing out ) the Advent wreath candles.

6.  This is new!  A kid gets to pick one thing we all can do as a gift to God that day.

You can see pictures of everything Advent here.

I also love online Advent calendars!  My favorite religious one is on Busted Halo, my favorite secular one is Boola and Kwala.

No comments: