Monday, May 21, 2012

Sad News

The sonogram showed the baby doesn't seem to be developing.  I'm at 8 weeks and the baby is only the size of six weeks.  And we didn't see a heartbeat.

I feel like God was preparing me for this in the last few days, so it's very sad but not shocking to me.  It's very hard on the kids and the Emperor, though.  Please pray for all of us.

The kids have been asking why God would do this.  Why ask us to have a baby and then take it away?

It's an important question and I think there is more than one answer.  My answer is something like this: In the light of eternity (billions of trillions of years and then some) everyone's life is short - by which I mean statistically insignificant- even if you live to 100.  That doesn't mean the life itself is insignificant.

I believe that the soul is eternal.  I believe in the resurrection of the dead (meaning that we will eventually receive our glorified bodies back).  I believe, therefore, that this precious little one is not gone, because nothing is lost with God.  In a real sense, the baby is gone from our sight, but not from our reality.  There is a new person to love and be loved (by God and by us) for all eternity.

Thank you so much for your prayers and kind wishes throughout this pregnancy.  The hope and joy you have given me also does not pass away.  I will always be grateful to you.  Please let me know if I can pray for you.

3 comments:

Annabelle said...

So sorry to hear the news. I will keep your whole family in my prayers. I felt the same as you with my miscarriages, I wasn't entirely surprised just because my body had been giving me hints but my husband and the rest of the family were surprised. The second miscarriage I did better to prepare my husband. I like your insight on the 'shortness' of life. As my sister continues her fight with cancer I try to remind myself that even if she loses her fight I will see her again soon! Much love to you...XOXO

Queen of Carrots said...

Sorry to hear this. Will continue to be in prayer.

Tracy said...

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear this. After one of our miscarriages, a priest friend has this to say, and it's still a favorite thought for me: Your thoughts were on "the child I'll never have"...but in a moment of peace you too would say "the child we'll not have in this life". It's far from a platitude to consider that the mirror image of the profound grief you felt in that moment is the inconceivable joy you will both experience in being received by this child when your eyes shut on this world and open onto the real one. You have my prayers.