Friday, July 26, 2019

All the Things Part 3: the Kitchen


First off, I should mention what you aren't seeing.  We filled our entire carport twice with trash and recycling, and gave away nearly as much stuff. I find this level of organizing equally exhausting and liberating.

 Anyway, the main problem we had in the kitchen was that we had literally worn through our (16 year old) counters.

The new counters should outlast me- they are engineered quartz, and we had them professionally installed.


Oob picked them out, but I love them too.  The pattern is called Ocean Storm, and to me, they look very much like the stormy North Atlantic of my childhood.

I liked the ocean theme so much, we painted the walls blue with creamy tan trim.

 Our biggest problem was the floor.Honestly the kids did most of the hard work on this.

We had to scrape up two layers of vinyl tile and sometimes a layer of vinyl sheet, then we had to patch the floor.

Then we installed vinyl planks.







It was our first experience doing a floating floor, and I have to say, I really love it.  It feels uncannily like actual wood, but it's completely waterproof.




Klenda expertly color matched fabrics and sewed pillows for the window seat.



I put a few favorite shells in the window.


And I hung my grandmother's painting of the ocean!

We even finished all the trim before the boys returned, but that was down to the wire.

I thought I miter might not make it.
.




No comments: