Tuesday, November 25, 2008

The Poster Post

We've been studying the virtues with this poster since September. I drew the symbols lightly in pencil and we colored them in as we came to each virtue. It was cool seeing the "invisible" virtues pop into color!

This was pretty simple. I explained what the virtue was and then asked them for examples. We tried for an Old testament example, a New Testament example, something from the life of a saint, and some way they could practice it. We ended up with examples from stories sometimes, and we tried to practice the virtue and notice others with the virtue. We probably did this on and off for a week or so for each virtue. I think we skipped some weeks - I have a hard time keeping focused on things (I think we started this during the Egypt high tide).

The lettering is done in the BioColor gold paint from DSS. I love it because it really shines like gold, but it's hard to read in parts of the picture! The cross says "Faith," the anchor says "Hope," and the shield says "Temperance."

This poster will be coming down next week end when we strip the walls to make way for all of the Advent and Christmas stuff. Our walls are usually pretty heavily decorated, so I actually enjoy the dramatically bare beginning of Advent. We add a decoration a day (not counting kid projects) so everything fills up gradually.

Speaking of which...
This past Sunday was the feast of Christ the King! I am in no way as artistically ept (can one be ept, or just inept?) as the poster looks. I used my super cheap opaque projector. It's basically an enclosed light bulb and mirror. It can only be used for 15 minutes at a time and the room must be completely dark... but other than that, it's great!!! I traced it from a picture I found on the internet, and the kids colored it in and decorated it. We used that BioColor gold again and rhinestones (also from DSS). I think Klenda added the Sacred Heart. Zorg said, "It looks live action!!"

I will reuse this poster as the "Christ will Come in Majesty" poster. I am hoping to have three posters of this size (~3' x 4' from my Big Roll of Paper [is this turning into a DSS commercial?]) hanging side by side on the dining room wall.

I still need to make "Christ Came in History" and "Christ Comes in Mystery." The "History" one will be a nativity scene (outlined at night in 15 minutes!) and the Mystery one will be the Eucharist, probably drawn freehand. The kids will color and paint them, and probably decorate the edges with construction paper. I don't know how to explain that, but it makes the posters look more like banners. We use fancy shape scissors and cut out decorations for the corners (think of old fashioned photo corners) and also fringe for the bottom.

1 comment:

Garden State Kate said...

I don't think anyone would call you inept! lol Thant is lovely.
Happy Thanksgiving!!