Friday, September 9, 2011

US History: WWII Part 5, Seven Quick Takes

But wait, there's more! With the last 5 or 6 posts about WWII,  I totally forgot, we've been listening to music from the war years for the last six weeks! I must share!

1.   My favorite has to be "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy" (Andrews Sisters):


2. But I also love Johnny Mercer's "GI Jive":


3. Actually, it's hard to pick a favorite.  How about Glenn Miller's "In the Mood?"


4. Quite nearly the perfect wrap up this unit has been this Porky Pig cartoon.  No, really!  It's got the good guys, the bad guys, rationing, war bonds, and mutual non aggression pacts.  Alas, it also has one (written) ethnic slur.


5. Abbott and Costello's Buck Privates isn't a bad idea, either!


6.  God bless the USO!  I do believe there's a special place in heaven for Bob Hope and the many USO entertainers.  This gem is from Danny Kaye doing a musical imitation of the draft medical exam:

7.  I'll leave you with this gem, which my parents used to sing to me at certain times:

One extra note: The absolute best (free) WWII aerial combat game on the web is Battle of Britain!

No comments: