Friday, November 4, 2011

All Souls

For All Souls Day, we went to Mass and then to Arlington National Cemetery to visit the graves of the Emperor's dad and grandparents.


While there, we were privileged to see a funeral procession with a large band and two flag draped coffins, one caisson pulled by black horses, and one by white. 


There was also a riderless horse, which I think means one of them was a commander of some sort. They were followed by, literally a "bus full" of mourners (walking). I have no idea who were being laid to rest, of course, but we prayed for them.

I thought of what my Dad says: the price of freedom has to be paid by each generation. 

The generations we were visiting were in a quiet part of the cemetery.  Dad was a WWII vet and Grandpa a WWI vet.  I never met Dad (he died when the Emperor was 13) but I've heard enough to really wish I had.

He loved roses, in fact, he planted a rose that still  blooms for me, so we always bring him roses when we visit.  We had little bouquets for the three graves of our loved ones, but I also brought a few dozen camellias and gave them to the kids.  They could pick any grave to put a flower on and pray for that person.

It was a lovely, peaceful, prayerful visit.  I love All Souls Day.  It's a beautiful reminder, in this dying season, that nothing is lost in God, and that, in death, our bonds of love are changed, but never broken.

No comments: