Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Question

 This is a question for all those of you with a flair for home decorating.

This is my kitchen.

I have put off repainting it for as long as possible, partly because of the work involved, but mostly because I have a vague idea that I could do something nice with it, but just don't know what.

Any ideas?

Right now, the walls are all off white.  I can't do white (I think) because the sink and oven are bisque.  But the fridge is black and the cook top and dishwasher are stainless steel (guess who shops the clearance aisle?!).

 The cabinets are cherry, the floor is "stone" in shades of tan with a little coppery tone to it.

The counters are a verdigris design (green with ripples of blue and teal).

There are beams across the ceiling that match the cabinets (by a happy coincidence!  I didn't think of the beams when I chose the cabinets).
I was kind of thinking of using two colors.  Maybe one for most of the walls and another for the bow window and the wall going up the stairs?

The silver streamers around the stairwell (ever a source of delight or amusement to visitors, depending on age) are a barrier to keep the parakeets downstairs (as opposed to a fashion statement!).

I also have some cream colored battenburg lace curtains for the window (to put behind the books), although I could return them if I came up with a different color combination.

2 comments:

Annabelle said...

While I was visiting my sisters this summer I pulled up this post for them (since I am an engineer with no skills in this area and one of them is an architect). Said architect immediately said "put a new door in..this one is not insulated and she could put one in with a nice window too!" She also said paint a nice blue or blue/green to pick up some of the colors of floor or counter. We just learned from a decorator friend about bay window rods...I'm going to cut and paste the note I wrote to another sister about some rods at "Country Curtains":
it is a bay window rod that mounts in 4 places. Country Curtains has 5/8" and 1" rods and different colors to pick from. She has the same in 1" and antique brown (I think that is what she said). She said to pick a pretty material or at least a semi sheer that is solid color or tone on tone design. You can use rings (like she did) or grommets or enclosed tops and hem (precisely) that the curtain just grazes the sill. To make a sheer more opaque, use more material and have it "fuller". She used 1 panel for each side and 2 panels in the middle section to be able to pull them open if she wanted. She says BBB has a nice selection of panels.

So, that is all I know about decorating! good luck!

Annabelle said...

Oh and I'll add more thing about the bay window rod that I forgot in the earlier comment. Mount the rod not at the top of the window but down a little (like 1/3 down) so you get light above it and privacy below it. Hope all this jibberish makes sense!