Tuesday, September 11, 2012

1000

 This is my 1,000th post!

 It's hard to believe I've been blogging for five years!


Back then, the Zoomlians looked like this:

Choclo was 2, and Oob was only 2 months!

Too much cuteness!!!
 Now they're a bit bigger... but, honestly, still kind of like that.

I went back and reread my earliest posts.

I had nearly forgotten how we started out as Zoom Times:

Why Zoom Times? The first reason is that the more kids I have, the faster the time goes and since I just had my 6th baby, we are really zooming along! The second reason is that this is a blog primarily about our homeschooling adventures which is , in turn, primarily about my crazy kids.

Usually kids ask parents the big question: where did I come from? My kids didn't ask me, they told me where they came from. They come from the planet Zoom. Never heard of it? It's in the galaxy of Oom along with a number of other inhabited planets with names like Boom, Doom, Foom...you get the idea. When they arrived on our planet, the oxygen in the atmosphere caused them to develop legs. Although they were each hundreds of years old when they arrived, the legs took some getting used to, so they were raised by swamp monsters, then mermaids, and then they came to us.


Yes, my kids did write their own origin story!

I was also interested to see that my homeschool philosophy has remained quite stable:

 I think a big part of how you home school has to do with why you home school. We home school in order to allow each child to become the person God created them to be. We are interest led with an emphasis on fun. We do have certain musts: math and learning to read and write, but we are very flexible in terms of how and when they get it. We also tend to be really immersed in what we are interested in. Our high tides tend to be a week a month or a day dedicated to a particular topic (often a requested topic). We subscribe to a tidal homeschooling philosophy, with times of high and low tides.

That's still us!  Thanks for visiting Zoom!


No comments: