Wednesday, December 5, 2012

All Set Up

 Despite my extra week, I just squeaked by with getting things ready for Advent.  The last poster was finished on Sunday.

Part of that was getting a ton of Christmas shopping done last week.  We didn't do everything, but we did enough so that what is left will be fun and reasonably stress free.  One year I finished everything before Advent, then found I kept wanting to buy things!


 My biggest surprise delay was the discovery (the day before Advent started!) that Target didn't have the candles.  Oops!  Fortunately the grocery store had them.

The "wreath" is a pie plate with sprigs stuck in a circular pattern.  We used some things from the yard, and some from a hike in the woods near our house.  Choclo and Oob found pine cones and chestnut burrs to decorate the wreath.

Mxyl loaded up the Advent house for us, and that's been popular.  We upgraded the stable from the cardboard Playmobil one to this wooden one from the ceramic set (the pieces to which have all been broken over the years).




The newest thing is that I finally tried a fabulous idea that I've read many times on the internet.  I wrapped up 25 of our Advent and Christmas books.  The kid who gets to blow out the Advent candles also gets to pick a wrapped book.

This is working very well.  It's making sure that all the favorite books actually get read instead of buried in the big Bin O' Books.

You may notice that there are also unwrapped books.  That's because, as I discovered, we actually have about fifty Advent and Christmas books!  Did this stop us from getting more out of the library this week?  What do you think?

2 comments:

Annabelle said...

I've used your wrapped books idea that past 2 Christmases and we love it! I had the kids wrap them before packing them off in January so it is all new again when we opened the box on Saturday. Thanks!

Wendy said...

Having the kids re-wrap them at the end of Christmas is brilliant! I'll try that!