Saturday, December 5, 2015

Making a List, Checking it Twice

I usually try to wrap things up before Thanksgiving, but this year ran late.

No!  I'm not talking about presents!  I'm talking about Adventurers, and Biology, and all that stuff that I try to finish early so we can focus on Advent.

Biology: CHECK!  We finished this week with classes on pre-natal development , genetics, and early Christmas cookies.  I think the kids enjoyed all three.

Adventurers: CHECK! Botanical Gardens was our last trip this semester with the group, although we may manage another trip on our own. 

Gingerbread Contest and Party: Yikes!  We're hosting it next Tuesday, on the feast of the Immaculate Conception, and we are still in the preliminary gingerbread sketching phase.

Presents: this is the problem when the schedule runneth over, we're just starting to get a handle on the Christmas shopping.  With 6 kids, we have been charged with getting gifts from both sets of grandparents, and ourselves, and helping manage the kids' gifts to each other. 

There are a lot of logistics and tracking involved: What's been ordered? What's arrived? Who has what, for whom?  Has it been wrapped?  How will we find it when we need it? 

Oh, the spreadsheets!  Still, it's a good problem to have.

Also, we are feeding Christmas cookies by the handful to our friendly neighborhood delivery people: our mail carrier, the Fed Ex guy, the UPS guy (whom Oob calls "Ups"), the fire fighter who delivered the tree, and whomever else shows up with a box. 

As for cards and a Christmas letter/photo:


2 comments:

Sue Elvis said...

Wendy,

I do like your idea of feeding Christmas cookies to the neighbourhood delivery people! It's a great time of the year to say thank you to those who've helped us. This reminds me: Thank you for being my friend, for taking an interest in my life and for supporting my blog and podcast. I appreciate your encouraging comments, and it's always good to chat in the combox and share details of our lives.

My Christmas shopping seems to have got into a bit of a mess. I have bags all around my bedroom, and some in the cupboard. I need to spread everything out on the bed to see exactly what I've bought. I suspect some of my children have a lot of gifts and some have very few. A spreadsheet and some planning would have been a good idea!

I'm looking forward to seeing some gingerbread photos! Enjoy the party!

Wendy said...

Thank you so much for your kind words and encouraging comments! It's always so nice to chat with you. I haven't gotten to your podcast this week yet, but I always enjoy it with a nice cup of tea, it feels like chatting with you!