Monday, January 16, 2017

Running for My Life

Well, here's a post I never thought I'd write, but it's been a long time coming!

I run on a path along this stream
After 20 + years of being mostly sedentary, I've actually started  running.  Running wouldn't have been my first choice of exercise, mostly because I've had joint problems in the past.  That and I couldn't run a block without being winded. Running did not sound fun.

But.  Sue runs with her kids, and it made me realize how important it was to be an example to my kids about exercise being a normal part of a healthy life.  I just didn't like to exercise, so I didn't do it.  Not the best example, and not good for my health.

But I started thinking about it.  God sent me a few other IRL friends that run, and I started wondering if this was possible for me.  How can you tell the difference between a reason and an excuse?

Here's what physically worked for me:
-Good (motion control) shoes, and running on level paths turned out to be the key to running without joint pain.
I needed good shoes!
-Using a Couch to 5K running app is what made running in an ongoing way possible.  It's an objective way to see improvement.

Here's what mentally worked for me:
-Separating my intention to exercise (and be more fit) from my intention to lose weight.
-Listening to music (it energizes me and makes running fun)
-Discovering that doing a little works better than doing nothing.


Seriously!  The App is theoretically an 8 week plan where you run 3 times a week.  I started in mid-September and I am in the middle of Week 5!  I often can only fit in a run once a week (and occasionally less), and I often have to repeat a day or week, but I've just kept going, and it's enough- enough to feel better all day and enough to run farther.

I started running 30 seconds at a time, and I can now run for a mile and a half (with a walk break half way through).  I have a lot more energy, and I just feel better than I have in a long time.

And Mxyl, Klenda, Zorg, and Oob run with me!  I like to think they are extra encouraged by the fact that they all run faster than I do. I don't mind.  I run slowly, but faster than I would if I were still on the couch!



No comments: