Wednesday, March 7, 2018

Mostly Wordless Wednesday: Last Week's Kids' Astronomy, Planets 1






Thanks to Shelli for taking pictures!

The original class is posted here.

I added a demonstration of how true planets clear their orbits (as opposed to dwarf planets).

I tried picking up scattered paper clips by dragging a refrigerator magnet across them (too small and weak to pick up all the clips in it's path), then using a large magnet (cleared it's entire path).

Also, I couldn't find my scanning thermometer for the heated tiles (one is covered with a thick wool blanket to mimic Venus's insulating cloud cover) , and I was using chemistry thermometers, but, at 150 F for the insulated (warmer) tile, the kids were able to briefly touch the tiles, and this made more of an impression.

No comments: