Saturday, March 28, 2020

Fun Stuff for Kids to Do

A while back I was talking with friends about what to do with kids when you are low energy or not feeling well. I mentioned that I kept a list of activities for the kids just for such situations, since I invariably couldn't think of anything on the spot since, you know, I was low energy or not feeling well.  Funny how that works!

They asked me to share the list, so here goes.  Your mileage will vary based on what's fun for you and your kids, and what you have around your house. Some of the activities work for all ages.

Back in the Day!
Little Kids' Activities
Read to the kids
Sandbox (hide small objects in the sand for extra fun)
Bubbles (pretty easy to make a giant bubble wand if you're up for it)
Sidewalk chalk (free draw, draw train tracks or mazes for them, or teach skip counting with lily pads)
Play dough (also edible play dough and textured play dough)
Jello in bathtub (no water, just toddler or older baby with jello - bath time when they are done!)
Bubble bath with shaving cream
Wooden train sets
Blocks
Hammering toys
Finger plays or silly songs (lots of books available)
Crazy Bug Hats
Dress up
"Cooking" with cornmeal, dry beans, ice cubes (as long as you're up for clean up, or outside)
Walks
Backyard scavenger hunts
Finger paint (make sure to save hand prints when they are little!)
Sorting games
Sense games (trying to identify things by touch or smell)
Cardboard box building
Balls
Trucks/cars
Sheet forts
Hide and seek (can hide a plush toy)
Tell me a story

Bigger Kids' Activities
Make puppets (socks, paper bags, popsicle sticks)
Create a play or skit to show you
Make masks
Balloons (balloon rockets, balloon sculptures, objects in balloons)
Pillow fights
Simon says/Statues (everyone freeze looking surprised/angry/sad etc.)
Number playground
Watercolor paint
Drawing/coloring
Paper airplanes/helicopters
Chores (I always liked: Pick up 10 things)
Frisbees
Rube Goldberg contraptions
Snap circuits
Reading time
Legos
Fun Jar
Magnets
Simple sewing (also doing simple mazes with an unthreaded sewing machine was fun)
Random science experiments (I have a lot of random science experiment books)
Board/card games
Plant seeds
Marbles or jacks
Jump rope or hula hoop
Knock knock jokes
Press flowers
Microscope/magnifying glasses

Another thing I did was have themed weeks which helped guide the activities, but I'll do that in another post. I may do yet another post with my favorite random science experiments if anyone is interested (comment if you are).

No comments: