Wednesday, January 7, 2009

High Tide!

We are really swimming along here! The kids love chemistry. We had co-op today so we didn't get to do any experiments. At dinner Klenda wanted to know what the element of the day was. As in hey-what-are-you-trying-to-pull-here-skipping-the-element-of-the-day? I got an additional, "We didn't even put on our lab coats today!" burst of indignation from Mxyl.

In case you are wondering, today's element is Beryllium. We are starting the alkali earth metals (doing them by group since the groups have similar characteristics. And that's how the book does it.

Speaking of which, IMHO, that book is worth 2 or 3 times what they are selling it for.

Anyway, we are now 3 days in and have done 8 elements and 14 experiments not counting the ones we made up while studying acids and alkalis. The kit included an indicator solution, so we HAD to go around the house looking for acids and bases (alkalis). So, it's not technically an element a day; that's why we home school.

Um. Let me clarify: we home school so that we don't have to limit ourselves arbitrarily, not: we home school so we don't have to learn how to count.

Moving right along.

Still no camera cable, although we have a 2 point bounty on it. Kids have been looking, but I think they have given up. I may have to up the bounty.

Ooooh! I forgot to mention: we got a telescope for Christmas!!! After Chemistry and early US history, we'll go for Astronomy! Homeschool curriculum jam, gotta love it!

1 comment:

Garden State Kate said...

I can here Blondie singing in my ear as I read this. You guys sound
happiest when you are "busy" at high tide. I wish I had a good spot for a telescope here.
Yes, up the bounty..I want to see
pictures! lol