Monday, August 17, 2009

Remembering the Alamo, Kind of...

With all the trips and day trips this summer, I am feeling a nice combination of really relaxed and jazzed to start up again. I've been working up a mega unit that I've had in the back of my head for the past few years.

This is the year for US History! We're going to try for the whole shebang from crossing the Bering strait to today!

It's funny to see how much of teaching comes from things I didn't like about my education. I couldn't stand the way my schools did history: they chopped it up into unrelated times so that I never got a good idea of how it all fit together. I came away with the general idea that there was a Revolutionary War, then some time later a Civil War, and somewhere in there was a French and Indian War (Wrong! It was an indirect cause of the Revolution!) and the War of 1812 when Teddy Roosevelt charged up San Juan Hill and saved the Alamo... (Let's just pass over that one).

I guess it was less a general idea and more a tangle of separate stories, all of which happened "Once upon a time."

We're hoping to avoid that with the Zoomlians! More details soon!

No comments: