Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Zoomlians at the Zoo

With the sudden turn to nice weather (a 25 degree drop), I wanted to go out and do something before it gets hot and humid again.

Since we had missed the zoo on Oob's birthday, I thought we'd give it another try.

We had a fabulous time! I had brought the sketch pads, and I asked the kids to draw three things. It's funny how some kids can barely manage three drawings, while others go crazy.

Zorg went crazy! Here you have his pictures from the reptile and invertebrate collections.

I particularly like the gharial, komodo dragon (who looks like he's eating a crab), the ape (whose hair really did look like that), and the nautilus (bottom right).

I am always amazed at how accurately Zorg draws from life.

I think the nautilus were my favorites this time, and not just because they are tentacled cephalopods. There were maybe a dozen in the tank and about five of them were clustered at the glass on one side, clearly watching us. It was actually a little creepy, but fun!

My usual favorites, the elephant shrews, were napping.

On the other hand, the reptiles were more active than I have ever seen. Every single snake was moving around doing interesting things. OK, that was creepy too, but we had gone to the National Zoo specifically so that Choclo could see a cobra. Ironically, they no longer had a cobra, but they did have a false water cobra which slithered about satisfactorily.

It was a great visit, except that I broke the two hour rule (we stayed 2 1/2) so things started to break down on the way back to the car. I patched things up by sharing a cotton candy. Actually, that much cotton candy is about right for 6 kids (and $4 for a treat for 6 was a great price!)... but I was wiped out for the rest of the day. I guess two hours is right for me, too!

No comments: