Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Ashes

Fr. Rose was the Chaplain at Johns Hopkins Hospital when I was working at the lab.  I'm sure he wouldn't remember me if I walked up and bit him, but he managed to make an indelible impression on me...twice!

The first impression was a homily he gave on Ash Wednesday 15 years ago.  I'm not sure I remember what I ate for lunch today, but I can tell you exactly what he said then:

What good are ashes? 

Ashes are good for three things. First, you can use them for traction.  People who live in snowy places often keep a tin of ashes in their car so that, if the car gets stuck in the snow, they can use the ashes to get themselves going again. ( Ever get stuck in a sinful habit and feel like you're spinning your wheels?)

Second, ashes can be used for scouring pots.  Usually this is done when you're camping and you get nasty, stuck on, burned on food at the bottom of the pot - ashes and elbow grease will take it off. (A little spring cleaning for the soul, anyone?)

Third, ashes are used to enrich the soil in the garden.  Ashes help things grow better.  (The ashes have potassium - not only do the plants grow better, it specifically helps them produce more fruit.  Looking for more fruit in your spiritual life?)

Lent is the time given to us to get traction in our spiritual lives, to clean up our act and to grow.  

Thanks, Fr. Rose!

No comments: