Saturday, February 25, 2012

Basilica

I've been going to this Basilica since I was a small child, possibly before the main church was even open! (Picture by Zorg)

Whenever I return there, I feel like I am seeing old friends, and (as they open more chapels) meeting new ones.

There's more too it than that, even.  I remember going there with my grandmother and great grandmother who have passed on, and now, when I kneel where they knelt, I pray for them.
 This was Mxyl's favorite artwork, a mosaic of the Woman of Revelation featured on one of the half domes. 
 The new Marionite chapel was my favorite!

This is St. Charbel, a favorite saint in my family.  Perhaps I should rephrase that - we all like him, he's not physically related!

I loved the new chapel - simple, but beautiful with a protected, peaceful feeling. 

The Marionite Rite is mostly in Lebanon, a place in need of peace and protection.

 Here we have Zorg in the chapel of Our Lady of Africa, under a statue of one of the evangelists.

And here is our favorite statue of the Holy Family resting during their flight into Egypt.

I love this piece!  It captures both the strength, weariness, and trust of the small family. 

Plus, it looks to me like Mary is stretching her aching back which seems tremendously realistic to me (there is a donkey lying down on the other side of the statue).

It was a great start to Lent!

No comments: