Friday, February 17, 2012

The Walters Round One

 I love the Walters!  This is actually an amazing admission when you consider that 12 years ago I swore that I would never go there again.

Back then, I was carrying Klenda, holding Mxyl's toddler hand, and pregnant with Zorg.  Looking back, I was also a young over sensitive mom.

 I was a bit anxious that my two year old behave well in the museum,  but that turned into very anxious when I realized a guard was following us around to make sure my toddler didn't touch anything.

At some point, Mxyl got tired out and sat on the floor.  The guard swooped down and told me  that he couldn't sit on the floor. Really?   He wasn't touching anything.  There wasn't a bench to sit on.  He was two.  No!  He can't sit on the floor! 

I left and swore I'd never go back: the Walters just hates kids.

Ten years later, someone raved about how much fun her kids had at the Walters... Really?

Really!  Somewhere in those ten years, something changed. Changed like Scrooge changed!  I have no idea if the Spirits of Museums actually showed up, but now the Walters loves kids!  And the guards are all kind and helpful, even when telling kids not to lean on the glass (not that the Zoomlians would ever do such a thing!).

They also now have these great family guides to different collections.  The guides contain cards with pictures of different items on display.  It's like a scavenger hunt with questions and stories designed to get kids to think about the times and places the items came from and relate to the people who used those items.  Fantastic!

Unbelievably, the museum is now also FREE!  I had literally paid for my bad experience way back then.

I've returned to my "draw three things" philosophy to museums.  The point here is that, when you try to draw something, you have to really see it in a deeper way.  Improving art skills is sort of a bonus!

This trip we saw the Ancient cultures (Greek, Roman, Egyptian , and Assyrian) and the Hall of Wonders and the Treasury.

We had been watching Egypt's Golden Empire, so the kids really enjoyed the Egyptian stuff. 

One of the things I miss in the Smithsonian is having diverse collections in one museum.  The Walters calls itself an art museum - and it does have plenty of paintings and sculpture - but it also has tons of history, social studies, and science.
 In fact, the buildings themselves are beautiful and evocative.

Here we have "The Collector's Study."  It's a room off of the main museum that is set up as a recreation of an 18th century study filled with art and "curiosities!"

Honestly, I could have spent hours in this room alone!

But nearby was the Hall of Wonders!
 Who could resist?!  Amazing and wonderful things: natural wonders like a giant stuffed crocodile, gems and minerals, and sea shells.  Man made wonders like an Egyptian mummy of a child, curious carved puzzle boxes and furniture and dazzling jewelry.  All of this is set in a room of fabulous carved paneling. 

I think what I love most about the Walters is the way they set up immersive experiences.  You feel like you have stepped back in time and are marveling with those people at these "wonders."

Choclo was amazed at the giant beetles.  They have magnifying glasses all over so that you can see the details of the insect collection.

 I just had to post this picture because I think it's my favorite.  It's a trompe l'oeil .  Honestly, it's just a flat painting, but after seeing the actual Roman carvings (see the first picture) it's so exact that it's hard to believe.  It was patterned on a real Roman carving that had been broken and worn by time.

It's worth clicking on it to see it larger!
Last, but not least, we visited the Family Art Center (did I mention they now love kids?) where the Zoomlian had fun making puppet shows and touching things!

No comments: