Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Apple Picking

 Last week we went apple picking up at Larriland Farms with Grammy.  Honestly, despite the picture, we all had a great time!

All the smiling pictures must be on the camera (which I know made it into the car, but has not yet resurfaced).

The kids out did themselves apple picking (80 lbs!) and we got a really great variety of apples: Ida Reds, Magnolia Golds, Golden Delicious, Braeburns and (my favorite) Mutsus.

We also got baby beets which we roasted for dinner that night (swoon worthy), pumpkins, warty gourds, and an assortment of squashes.  I got anther Blue Hubbard, since I liked that so well last year, and I am trying a new strain called "Long Island Cheese."  Seriously.


 So far, we've made 4 apple pies, a large number of apple fritters, apple sauce and apple butter.  And we've eaten quite a few apples!

These have been the best apple pies I've ever made which I think means it's a great combination of apples.

Anyway, if you end up with a load of apples, here's how I make apple butter.  It's a two day, low stress affair.

On day 1,  I sort the apples and take all the ones damaged in any way.  They won't store well, and they are better off as butter.

I wash them, then cut them into quarters and dump them in my biggest pot.  I add cinnamon sticks, cloves, chunks of ginger, and whatever other whole spices I have on hand (cardamom, and star anise were used this year).  I pour in about a quart of cider or apple juice, cover the pot and then simmer it for a few hours.

When everything is soft, I turn off the heat and leave it alone.

On day 2, I push the soft apples through a colander.  This removes the skins, cores, and whole spices.  This is apple sauce, and I usually take some out to keep as sauce.

The rest goes into a big pan with some brown sugar (to taste).  The pan goes into the oven at 275 or so degrees.  It starts out looking like the top picture, and eventually turns dark brown and bubbly like the bottom picture.  It's probably in the oven for 8 hours, and I stir it every 2 hours or so, mostly to see how it's getting on.  When my spoon leaves a trail on the bottom of the pan, it's thick enough for me.

That's it!  I put mine in canning jars and process (cover) in boiling water for 15 minutes.

I like to use apple butter on toast, but also on pork roast. Yum!

No comments: