Thursday, October 18, 2012

Year of Faith

I've been thinking about what I would like to do with my kids for the Year of Faith, and I've decided I'd like to start with an intense focus on the Creed.

I had done a project like this about ten years ago, but this time I made a template which you can find here as the Creed PDF (which has fancy lettering), or here as the Creed Word document (with plain lettering).

The basic idea is that the Nicene Creed is broken down into phrases, and each phrase is printed on a blank sheet of paper.  My templates each have 16 pages, but you could do it yourself with the Apostles Creed and it would be a lot shorter.  I'm using the Nicene because I have a lot of kids and a wide age spread. Also, it's the translation that we use at Mass.

Each kid is given a page at a time (the younger kids get the simpler, more concrete phrases), and they draw a representation of the phrase in the blank space.  When they are done (for us it will be during lunch) they share and explain their drawing, and we tape it to the wall.

For us, the whole project will take 3  go arounds which will be spread over two or three weeks.  At the end, we should have a wall covered with an illustrated Creed.  I'll post our results later.

If you're not sure about drawing it out, you could try these Apostles Creed coloring pages.

UPDATE: Queen of Carrots suggested this fabulous picture book of the Nicene Creed!

Now I just have to figure out what I am going to do for me!

One suggestion I had heard was to read the Gospels, but we just did that (and the rest of the New Testament) last year.  My Dominican chapter did a fairly exhaustive multi year study of the CCC a few years back.  I'd kind of like to try the Catechism for Adults or the YouCat.  I'd really like to read through all the documents of Vatican II, but I'm wondering if it's a bit ambitious.

Any ideas?  What are you doing for the Year of Faith?

3 comments:

Queen of Carrots said...

That sounds lovely. Have you seen the book of the Nicene Creed illustrated by Pauline Baynes (illustrator of Narnia)? http://www.amazon.com/I-Believe-The-Nicene-Creed/dp/0802852580/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1350589813&sr=8-1&keywords=I+believe+pauline

It's really beautiful. But then, if you're doing your own illustrations, you might not want someone else's.

Wendy said...

That looks fantastic! I grabbed a copy! I just won't show it to the kids until after they do theirs.

It's not that I don't want some one else's visuals, just that I want the kids to really think about what it means and to express that before they see another interpretation.

Thanks for the source!

Unknown said...

I like your ideas, Wendy!
I have been mulling this over for the past few weeks (what to do, what to do), and I thought about studying stories in the Bible in which the person's faith in God was important.
I might move onto the early church and the saints if I have time. This is where I could put in your Nicene Creed ideas.
Thanks!

-Michelle