Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Plans for Adventure

This is the fourth year in a row that I have done Adventurers!

This started out in 2009 as a weekly field tip with the oldest kids in my home school co-op (which was a way to keep the co-op running with an ever widening age range).  The co-op has been gone 2 years now, but I keep going by simply publishing a list and a meeting place for car pooling.

I lived near DC for eight years before I found the nerve to take independent trips downtown. I was afraid I 'd get lost.  I was afraid I'd lose a kid.  I was afraid I couldn't find parking.  Worst of all, I was afraid I would have to parallel park!

None of that happened!  Now I keep inviting other families so that they will know where to park, what fun things there are to do, and what the best times are to do them.

This is the schedule for January and February, they are all Wednesdays, except as noted:

1/9 National Gallery/Natural History: We'll start out at National Gallery and move the younger Zoomlians over to Natural History when they get restless (they museums are next to each other).  The older Zoomlians (who have been asking to spend real time with the art) will stay at National Gallery, then meet us back at the van.

1/16 The Walters Art Gallery up in Baltimore.  We will be starting a new Medieval unit, and the Walters has the best Medieval collection since the Cloisters.  We may pass through their Egyptian stuff (Choclo is still on a mummy kick), we won't miss the Hall of Wonders, and we may also visit their Japanese collection, what with Mxyl studying Japanese.  Maybe we should just move there.

1/25 Friday March for Life The Emperor is doing this one with the older kids and the Youth Group.

1/30 Skip Week!  I have my portfolio review that morning.

2/6 Air and Space Udvar-Hazy Annex We'd planned to go in the Fall, but never made it. This one is free to get in, but you are required to park on site for $16.  A great place to car pool, but worth it regardless!

2/13 Ash Wednesday Basilica of the Immaculate Conception

2/20 Museum of American Art  I've never been there, but, if it's not fun, we'll bail and do the US History museum.

2/27 Sackler Gallery/African Art/Smithsonian Castle  These are all adjacent.  This is another trip where I may leave the older Zoomlians with the great art, and take the younger to go play in the Moon Garden.




No comments: