Sunday, January 27, 2013

The Feast!

What would a Medieval unit be without a feast?

Putting together a feast is not that hard - it's much more a matter of subtracting ingredients than adding: no potatoes, corn, or tomatoes!  I guess there is the addition of "baking spices" to meat dishes, and that makes it taste a bit exotic.

This is my favorite site for Medieval recipes, although there are many good others floating around on the web.

Since I only have a few scullions, I kept my feast simple:





Roast chicken with herbs
Meat pies (I prepared the filling the night before and used refrigerated pie crusts)
Bread
Braised leeks
Spinach with bacon
Mulled wine (grape juice and a bit of wine vinegar, simmered with spices)
Almond milk (I skipped the authentic recipe and just bought it!)
Gingerbread
Snowe


That may or may not seem simple to you, but bear in mind that we usually cook 3 meals a day for at least 8 people, we often have dessert, and we make all our bread.  We're used to cooking a lot of food and we really enjoy it.

We were all set when Zorg decided that we couldn't have a feast without a jester!  So Zorg and Leena were matching masked jesters dressed all in black (Zorg) and white (Leena).  That got the ball rolling:  Choclo and Oob did dancing and tumbling, Mxyl read a humorous epic from the period ("Get Up and Bar the Door"), and the Emperor juggled.

No comments: