Monday, February 25, 2013

Chart and Compass Part 4 (of 4!)

I feel like I need to say one more thing, lest my philosophical ramblings leave you with the impression that my chart and compass approach has been easy and direct, or the result of my own genius.

When I first envisioned home schooling, I was a solidly "classical education" type.  At the curriculum tea, I met someone who wanted to do the classical approach because she loved it, and she always wished she had had that kind of education.  That is a fantastic reason to go that direction, and I hope she goes for it!

For me, however, "classical education" was about my own excellence and proving that I could do a great job as a home schooler.  Well, you can guess how well that went! 

With my home school, God led me on the path of joy.  But to follow that path, I've had to trust that it really was God leading, and let go of a lot of fears, especially the fear that if I didn't "do school,"  my kids would be "uneducated."  What if I miss teaching them everything they will need to know? 

In our rapidly changing world, I am quite sure that neither I nor anyone else is teaching kids everything they will need to know.   What they will need to know hasn't been invented yet!

But:

If they know how to think clearly, logically, and compassionately,

If they know how to break "impossible" problems into manageable parts,

If they are curious and interested in the world and the people around them,

If they know how to find the truth and incorporate it into their lives,

If their compass of joy points toward God, and that love overflows to everyone they meet,

Then they'll be alright, by the grace of God.


No comments: