Sunday, February 10, 2013

Poetry

We've been doing more poetry this year, partly because I've had my own love of poetry renewed and that spills over to sharing great poems with the kids.  We are reading poems frequently, but once a week, I wanted to go at a poem more intensely.  The Emperor came up with this schema for us to look at poems more deeply. 



Poetry

11.      Write the author and title of the poem, using proper capitalization and punctuation.  Titles of poems always go in quotation marks.  Titles get capital letters for their first and last words and for every conjunction or preposition that is 5 or fewer letters.
22.      State two literal observations about the poem.  One should be about the form of the poem, and the other should be about its topic or its plot.
33.      State one personal reaction/reflection that you had when you read a particular statement in the poem.
44.      State what you believe to be the central message of the poem.
55.      State one question that reading the poem inspires.


This has been a lot of fun!  We are tapping in to The Emperor's stash of short and interesting poems, like: Stephen Crane's, "I Saw a Man."


I Saw a Man

I saw a man pursuing the horizon;
Round and round they sped.
I was disturbed at this;
I accosted the man.
"It is futile," I said,
"You can never -- "

"You lie," he cried,
And ran on.


 

No comments: