Saturday, April 20, 2013

Shark Tooth Expedition

 This was amazingly fun!  I had put out a call to all the homeschoolers that we were headed down to the Bay, but had gotten only one response.

So I was delighted when, after we had been there a little while, two more families showed up.  So, 4 families, 19 kids!

We also had along a friend who was studying home schoolers.  He got a broad perspective talking to all of us, plus he found the largest and best preserved seven gill cow shark tooth I've ever seen.  The big megalodon tooth eluded him, but, as I told him, if he found one of those his first time out after all the time we've been (unsuccessfully) looking, he was walking home!

Our family found over a hundred fossil shark teeth, not counting ray plates, bone fragments(from dolphins and whales), and a tail barb (which was a first for us)!

Actually, everyone found tons of teeth, despite this being the first trip for many - really it was the perfect day!

Except that I miscalculated the time and we stayed 3 1/2 hours...which would have been fine if I had used sun screen...  The longest we've stayed before this was 2 hours, and I thought it had been 2 1/2.

Fortunately the sunburns weren't too bad (except, strangely, the tops of my feet).  I usually try to give the kids moderate sun exposure starting in the weak sun of April so that they have some sun tolerance by the time we get to summer (and therefore it's not a disaster if they get some sun), but this time was an oops.

But, other than that it was a perfect day!

No comments: