Thursday, September 13, 2018

Baltimore with Klenda

Klenda is starting at the Schuler School in a few weeks, and she wanted to do a test run of her train commute.

I spent 6 years living and working in Baltimore, so I volunteered to ride along and show her the sights.

I really love Baltimore!









After checking out the lay of the land around her new school, we walked downtown and visited the Basilica of the Assumption.





 We walked around the Mount Vernon neighborhood and stopped in at The Walters.

It was lovely to linger over the paintings.

The 1890s townhouse the museum was renovating was finally open, and it is really an architectural gem.
 
 I've always loved this sweeping staircase which curves up to a carved plaster dome crowned with this beautiful window.
 They've actually installed a lot of modern art  in the townhouse, and I felt the stylistic conflict was a bit jarring.  Previously, they had the house decorated as a period piece: the home of a collector of Japanese art, and I really had enjoyed that, so maybe it's partly just the contrast.

We did find some pieces we liked, though, including this exquisite pottery.

Then it was time for the train back!




One of the things I've always loved about Baltimore is that the city overflows with art.  I've never seen a building there that was strictly utilitarian.  Even the warehouses have little architectural  flourishes.

The main train station has beautiful stained glass ceilings and  walls decorated with marble and carved plaster.


It was such a fun and beauty filled day!

No comments: