Saturday, September 8, 2018

Guest Blog by Klenda: BCC and Brickfair


 Growing up as a homeschooled kid, most of my friends ended up going to "away-school" around the time they hit early teens, so I ended up making friends online around the time I was 14.

I certainly didn't expect to ever meet any of those people!  Funny how things work out.

From left: Mxyl, Leena, Orion, Mace, Ford, Leo, Choclo, Malurus, LQ, and myself, Klenda
As you probably know, I'm part of the BCC (or Brick Content and Commentary) YouTube channel, and this past month the guys rented a house to display at Brickfair VA, a LEGO convention that I've been an observer at for the past two years.

Obviously, a lot went wrong in the planning phase, and at the execution.  But we managed to come out on top.  For a more in-depth explanation of what we did, we did a podcast on it, which you can watch here: BCC

Even aside from the hilarity and awesomeness of the convention itself, it was awesome being able to actually hang out with the people I'd known, but never met, for the past three years.  I'd met LQ once briefly two years ago, but I didn't know him particularly well at the time, so it was kinda "oh hey, I know you" rather than "Hey buddy, how've you been!"


Some MOCists goofing off while Orion looks on in full CHF attire
 Here, however, there wasn't any awkwardness, or any uncertainty of "oh...yeah, you're real, aren't you." Everyone already had a chemistry with everyone else.  As the most recent member, I've known these guys three years; some of them have known each other about half their lives. It was awesome being able to hang out around so many cool and creative builds and MOCs!
Malurus (left) and Orion (bread) plastic-wrap Orion with bread (long story)
 Along with going to the convention, we went to secret restaurants, got to meet LEGO celebrates,  played lazer tag with LEGO designers and TTV, and played video games.  My most excellent and extremely supportive mother also had them over for dinner, and we had an Indian food feast!
Eljay, Ford, and another displayer pose with the prize
 My friend Ford even walked away with the grand prize Bionicle box---one of only two in existence, that contains every Bionicle set ever made between 2015 and 2016. That's well over 30 sets!
It was a fantastic experience, and was incredible on so many levels to get to see my friends, and we've all decided we want to do the same thing at next year's convention!

No comments: