Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Happy Mardi Gras!

This a fun, no stress holiday for us. The Emperor and I met in New Orleans, although not at Mardi Gras, so we feel a little connection.

We'll eat sausage and pancakes for dinner. If I'm up to it, I'll make beignets. The kids will wear their craziest clothes and we'll make silly hats and/or masks.

We'll eat up all the candy in the house! We'll take down all the hearts and snow flakes, and tomorrow we'll be ready for Lent.

I made some worksheets by hand and then photocopied them since I didn't have access to the computer. I thought I'd describe them here because they were easy to make and could be adapted to cover any theme or occasion.

Page one is, "Draw a silly hat or mask for Mardi Gras." This will dovetail with actually making them later.

Page2 is a secret message for them to decode.

Page 3 and 4 are Mardi Gras themed word problems scaled for varying math ability. My favorite is for Leena: If you have 74 sausages, and you eat 67 of them, how many are left for everyone else?

Page 5 is a bunch of dot to dots by 1s, 2s, 3s, 4s, 5s, and 6s. They make various Mardi Gras treats, and I drew pictures of each kid near their favorite treat making silly comments. These are just stick figures, by the way!

Page 6 is simple: Tell a silly story about eating too much of your favorite food on Mardi Gras.

Page 7 is a picture of a kid on one side and a plate of sausages and pancakes on the other. In between I drew three very tangled lines, but only one leads to the sausages. It's a quick and easy way of drawing a maze.

No comments: