Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Our Pi Day

We made two pies: cherry crumb and blueberry cheesecake swirl. Why those two? I had two cans of pie filling, I wanted to be done by 1:59, and I didn't feel up to lugging the 50 lb bag of pastry flour out of the pantry so I could make a real crust.

But they worked out fine, anyway! We didn't eat them at 1:59, but we did spend that time measuring and calculating! Mxyl and Klenda used decimals and Zorg used fractions (3 1/7 is pretty close to pi).


We figured out the area and circumference of the whole pies, as well as how many square inches the pieces would be if we cut the pie in eights or twelfths.

In case you are curious, a 10" pie cut in eighths will be about 10 square inches per piece!

My plan was to cut one pie in eighths and the other in twelfths to do fractions with Leena, but I never made it that far.

Instead, while we were eating the pies (after dinner) we made pie charts showing how much of each pie was being eaten and what our favorite pies were. I did a bar gragh too, to show how different information can be shown in different forms, but, really, the bar graphs can wait til Easter. Everyone knows that pie charts are for pie, and bar graphs are for chocolate!

Photo Credit: Pixels by Mxyl

No comments: