Thursday, July 18, 2013

Doughnuts

Leena was kid of the week last week, and she asked me, as she had several times before, if we could make home made doughnuts.

The fact is, I got a doughnut cutter (that's the concentric metal circle thing)  four or five years ago, and I hadn't used it yet.

It was time to make the doughnuts!


The kids loved them.  I thought they were pretty good, but a little too.. bread like?  And it was a four hour project! For four hours it needs to be completely amazing.

I used the New Best Recipes recipe for yeasted doughnuts, and they used what was essentially a sweet, wet, bread dough with a 2 1/2 hour first rise and a 45 minute second rise.  It wasn't as bad as that sounds - I made the dough before we left for Sunday Mass, so the first rise was pretty easy. Except that Mass was at 7 am. :O

Anyway, I frosted the doughnuts with raspberry frosting and sprinkles, and rolled the holes in cinnamon sugar, so they were well received, but next time  I'd like to try a different recipe, maybe one that could rise overnight, or a cake doughnut recipe like this one.

No comments: