Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Dinosaur Week Round 3: Yet More Messy Projects!


I can't believe I haven't mentioned it yet, but Dinosaur Week wouldn't be complete without loads of plastic dinosaurs!

Here, Choclo is playing with the small ones we put in the "eggs," but we also have the larger ones we used for making tracks in clay, as well as a batch that are skeletons.

We also did baking soda and vinegar volcanoes, since the earth's crust was more active at the time of the dinosaurs.  And we like them.  A lot.

We like to add a dash of dish detergent to the vinegar, and a few drops of red food coloring/liquid watercolor in the volcano itself.

We thought it was more fun when we added the plastic dinosaurs and sound effects, but you should follow your own taste.

Hey, look!  We had a baby visit us for one day of dinosaur week.  He was 12 months and such a cutie!  He really liked dinosaurs.


 Then it was time for dinosaur costumes!  In the past, we've made dinosaur tails, but this time, I wanted to do the whole dino.

I used my brown big roll of paper (it's builder's paper that I got at the hardware store) because it was stiffer and a bit more dinosaur colored.


Dino Oobus
I folded a large length in half, then had Choclo lay down on it on his side so I could see where his face would be, and where to put the arm holes.  I drew the open mouth where his face was, then drew a rough dinosaur shape (except the tail, legs and arms) around the rest of him.

Dino Choclosaurus
Then I cut it out, stapling both sheets of paper as I went, and leaving the bottom space open for his legs,  an open mouth so he could see, and an area open to staple on a tail.

I used the scraps to cut out and stuff a tail (also stapled together, then stapled onto the body).

Then it was just a matter of cutting arm holes and adding eyes with marker.

I was pretty rushed at the time, and the whole costume took 10 minutes, but it worked well enough to make everyone happy!  I'd like to try again and take a little more time to "fancy it up" a bit, if I have time.  Still, sometimes, good enough is better than not doing it!

Dino Terror!!

I



No comments: