Monday, July 1, 2013

The Return of Beowulf, Part 1


I first encountered Beowulf when I was 5 1/2, reading a collection of "literature for children."  My mother had given me the book to keep me occupied while her baby shower was going on (my little sister was coming).  I don't think she realized what was in the book - to this day I remember that particular image of Grendel which made me afraid to open that page! Yet, the lasting fire in my imagination was Beowulf the hero.

It wasn't until I did Beowulf with my own kids about 5 years ago that I realized that most kids don't encounter Beowulf until high school. 

This time around, I've been reading from  The Story of Beowulf , supplementing the battle scenes with passages from the unabridged Beowulf, while the kids color their own Beowulf books

I really like the Marshall version: it tells the story without getting bogged down in the ancient genealogies, yet still retains some of the exalted flavor of the language (people don't "think about things," they "brood thereon").

The story has sparked a great deal of discussion: about heroism, bragging, pride, forgiveness, loyalty, magnanimity, the struggle against sin, the nature of greed and generosity, and the evolution of our culture.

Choclo and Oob were particularly impressed with the story of the dragon.  He had so much gold!  And yet, when one cup went missing he was angry and wanted revenge.  And he couldn't even use the cup!  Would we be like that if someone took one of our Legos without asking? Hmmm.

No comments: