Monday, May 5, 2008

The Day That Wasn't


Plan A: May 1st was the feast of St. Joseph , Ascension Thursday, and the first day of Mary's month, so we'd celebrate with Mass, and then taking the Azalea Walk at the Arboretum. Beautiful weather. Azaleas at their peak. Perfect!

This is a picture from last year.

I don't have a picture from this year because they closed the Arboretum to spray for gypsy moth caterpillars. But we did get to watch the helicopter spraying!

Plan B: Let's go to the state park near our house and do their playgrounds.

Nope. Closed.

Plan C: Let's drop by the playground close to our house that we're kind of bored with.
Surprise! We had a fabulous time!

Oob enjoyed swinging in the breeze in true baby style, note the wind fluffed hair.

The older Zoomlians worked on their tree camouflage skills. Can you spot three?

All in all, it was a lovely day, even if it wasn't the day I planned. Sometime after plan B failed, I realized that just a few years ago, I would have given up, gone home and had a pity party that my plans hadn't worked. What was that? Anger that it hadn't gone my way? Hurt pride that my perfect plan hadn't worked? Yes and yes and one thing more: a lack of trust that God has a plan for me.

The thing that I have learned most from DJM (Disciples of Jesus and Mary see side bar link) is to trust in God's love for me and to look for the gifts He surrounds me with.

I was one of the disciples on the road to Emmaus: Jesus was with me the whole time explaining it all for me, but I didn't recognize Him. They didn't recognize Him because they thought He couldn't possibly be really alive. I didn't recognize Him because I (unconsciously) thought He couldn't possibly love me enough to be wasting His time walking with me.

So I would have wasted the gift of the day that wasn't.

No comments: