Friday, May 9, 2008

Getting Ready for Pentecost


This year I am focusing on the 7 gifts of the Holy Spirit. Over the past few days, I made a poster of a large dove and seven flames with a gift written on each flame. Since they are gifts, I will be wrapping up representations of each gift in a fancy box along with an explanation, and I hope to have the kids open one a day over the next week. Here is what I have:

Wisdom: This gift helps us to tell the difference between what is really valuable (from God) and what just looks valuable! (a gold bracelet and a crumpled up tissue spray painted gold)

Understanding: This gift shows us everything in the light of truth! (flashlight)

Counsel: This gift is like a key that shows us the best way to please God and get to heaven! (key)

Fortitude: This gift gives us courage to do what God wants us to do and let nothing stop us! (stuffed lion)

Knowledge: This gift lets us get to know God and our selves! (Bible and mirror)

Piety: This gift makes praying and doing things for God sweet! (Rosary and candy)

Fear of the Lord: This gift makes us love God so much that we fear to offend Him. (fragile knick knack - we aren't afraid of it, we're afraid to break it).

There are a lot of different ways you could do this. My selections were based on what I could fit in the box and could find in the house (I had a tough time finding something fragile!). I am reusing my one very fancy gold gift box, but separate boxes or a gift bag would work well too.

Sorry about the odd fonts, I pasted from Word and am in need of more, well, knowledge.



2 comments:

Queen of Carrots said...

Very cool looking! I would love to do something like this for Pentecost, but maybe first I should finish the Advent boxes I semi-compiled two years ago. :-P

I tagged you (or other Zoomlians) to come up with six unspectacular quirks.

Christine said...

Great ideas!