Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Gimmy That Old Time Religion

It's never been my favorite song. I have fond memories of my Dad singing it to us in the car, but I liked it better when he sang There's a Church in the Valley by the Wildwood.

At any rate, when the kids started singing it in the back of the van, I started listening to the words.

"It was good for the prophet Daniel,
It was good for the prophet Daniel,
It was good for the prophet Daniel,
It's good enough for me!"

Hmm. Was that what bothered me? I do believe that Jesus fulfilled Judaism, but doesn't that verse imply that the "Old Time Religion" that's good enough for us is actually Judaism? Just about the time I was concluding that it really doesn't pay to think about the lyrics to kid songs too much, the kid's started making up verses.

"It was good for Benedicto (Benedict XVI),
It was good for Benedicto,
It was good for Benedicto,
It's good enough for me!"

Well, all right then!

They went on with quite a few verses featuring people it was good enough for: Donald (our bishop (seems rude, but that's how he's referred to in the Mass), Fr. Mark, Daddy, Mommy, and then each of the Zoomlians in turn using their Earth and then their Zoomlian names. It was a long song, but at the end of the day, it was definitively decided: That Old Time Religion is good enough for us!

In case you've never heard Give Me That Old Time Religion, you can hear it with the non-Zoomlian lyrics here. Come to think of it, I think it's Protestant in origin. Wouldn't their Old Time Religion be Catholicism? Maybe it really doesn't pay to think about the lyrics to kid songs too much!

No comments: