Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Happy Anniversary!

We were both 20 at our wedding...
and that was 20 years ago!!! Half our lives!

I've been thinking about what I would tell those kids, if I could reach back two decades.

To the kid in white, I would say, "You picked the right guy: treasure him!"

To the kid in gray: "You are amazing! And you are going to be far more amazing than you can imagine right now."

I think a lot of our friends and relatives at the wedding were more nervous than we were. How could we know when we were so young?

Sometimes you just know. I didn't believe in love at first sight before I met the Emperor. I think God thinks that's funny. People say that something "rocked their world." Ha! After meeting him, I could never be the same. It took quite a bit of time before I could believe that he (obviously the most eligible person on the planet) could possibly feel that way about me!

Today he is wearing the shirt he wore when we met. That makes me doubly blessed: a husband who cares enough to remember and save the shirt and a husband who still fits in shirts he wore when he was 18!

In some ways being young when we married made things easier - it's not the path for everyone, to be sure, but it was our path. We grew together when we were young and flexible. We formed each other. We were blissfully ignorant of all the things that could (and some that would) go wrong. When thing did go wrong, we helped each other through. We put down spiritual roots together.

Twenty years later, he's still my best friend, still keeping me up too late talking, still surprising me, still supporting me, still fascinating me. Thank you God!

No comments: