Monday, March 5, 2012

Return of the Gospel Desserts: Week 2

 Yesterday's Gospel was the Transfiguration.

Our dessert was a banana cream pie with a glorious mountain of whipped cream on the top!

We actually made two, which ended up being a little too much of a good thing, since we can't save the leftovers, but it worked out fine.
The Emperor and I weren't actually present for this.

We were off at the BSO watching The Passion of Joan of Arc, a special treat, in fact, a Christmas present to the Emperor and two close friends!

We had all watched the movie together ten years ago when we first started watching the Vatican Film List. It's a French silent film from 1928.

The first time I watched it, I thought, "This crosses the line: black and white, silent, and in a foreign language! I have become a movie snob.  Or I would be if I understood it."

I must say, either I have a better understanding of film than I did then, or it takes me ten years to figure things out! 

I had been very moved the first time I saw it, but this time I felt like I understood it much more and it was wrenching to watch.  I'm sure having a world class symphony and chorus performing live helped!  But I was also less confused by the imagery. 

So have I achieved movie snobdom?  I was worried about that, so I also watched Godzilla Raids Again, this weekend.   One viewing was enough to balance a silent foreign film at the symphony.

No comments: