Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Choclo's Guardian Angel Works Hard

Choclo poked himself in the eye with a fork on Monday night.

Yes, you read that right.  He told two doctors and 8 nurses this yesterday, and in every case the conversation went like this:

Healthcare Professional (HP): So, what happened to you?

Choclo (matter of factly): I poked myself in the eye with a fork.

HP (looking at me in stunned disbelief): He what?

Me (with resignation): He poked himself in the eye with a fork.

HP: When did this happen?

Me: Last night.  (HP looks appalled that I didn't rush him to the ER) But there wasn't any blood, and he calmed down pretty quickly, so I thought I'd wait til today...  And it looks worse today.

HP (to Choclo): Why did you do that?

Choclo: I was shocked. (the HP looks shocked) It was an accident.

There were some side variations like: Plastic or metal? (it was metal), and Did you fall? (he didn't, it happened on the couch).

Eventually  we ended up with the best ophthalmologist in the world (Dr. Robert Hseih, if you live in the area).  He is the Doctor for three generations of our family, including the Emperor now and when he was Choclo's age!

Dr. Hseih took a careful look at Choclo, declared him remarkably lucky and said he would be completely fine by Thursday.    Today, almost all the redness is gone, as you can see above.

The visit to the eye doctor renewed Choclo's interest in becoming an eye doctor.  They have the coolest toys!  He loves all the gadgets and equipment.  When Choclo told this to Dr, Hseih, he replied, "If you still want to when you are a little older, come back and spend the day with me, so you can see what it's like."

Did I mention he's the best?


No comments: