Thursday, May 17, 2012

Name Theme Meme

 I love the idea of themes for naming kids!  Although I guess I wouldn't pick a theme from a movie, The Princess Bride would be tempting.

At one point, my girls (whose names start with A and R) became offended that they don't have a theme (my boys are named for the evangelists).  Out of the corner of my eye, I saw my husband enter the room so I said, "But we do!  We're trying to spell out 'ARCTIC CIRCLE!'"

Poor guy still hasn't recovered...But the next two girls' name really do start with C and T!

In my brother's family, they all have the same initials.  I never asked why, but he and his wife have the same initials, so I guess they just kept it up with the kids.  I think it's cool, but it would really mess up my labeling system!

I tried to convince Angel that she needed to pick a theme for baby names.  I recommended "Early Popes."  You know: Peter, Linus, Clement, Cletus, Sixtus...  Kinda rough if you have all girls, but it's the theme that's important!

I was reading through Butler's Lives of the Saints and came across a bunch of saints who knew each other: St, Egbert, St. Swithbert, St. Wigbert, and St. Cuthbert.  I had to read it aloud to my kids: So Wigbert said to Swithbert and Cuthbert, "Come, let us go find Egbert..."  We were rolling on the floor!  Great moments in Catholic Geekdom.  There's a theme for you!

Anyone else have a good idea for a theme?  It doesn't have to be one you would actually do.

4 comments:

Queen of Carrots said...

When DOB worked in finance, I pointed out we could name our sons after mutual fund companies: Frank Russell, Edward Jones, etc.

And I have decided, too late, that Apollo and Artemis (or Diana) would have been cool twin names. Except they don't fit our retro-Puritan vibe at all.

Tracy said...

I've got to share my favorite baby name widget. I could play with this thing for hours! Baby Name Wizard Voyager

Annabelle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Annabelle said...

We just have a 'recent pope' theme going here with John Paul and Benedict. :) Between my 4 sisters and me we have a nice general Bible theme: Mary (Jane), Joseph, Elizabeth, Anne, Simon, Mark, Luke and John. I have always joked about naming a boy Sixtus. We have friends with an Augustus, Xavier and Emmanuel (not in one family). I really stuck my foot in my mouth when Emmanuel was born and asked "what will you call him"...the answer "Emmanuel". oops!