Wednesday, May 16, 2012

The Name Game

A number of my friends and acquaintances are expecting in the near future, and some of them started posting baby name websites.

I love looking at baby names!  This is in no small part because I don't need to choose one.

Believe it or not, we are still working on the list of nine names we came up with more than five years before our first child was born.   "Working on" meaning making the babies to go with the names!

I find it fascinating to see how and why people choose names.

Our basic criteria were:
1. Name of saint or (good) Biblical figure
2. Name of someone in the family (that we wanted the kid to take after!)
3. Name we both like
4. Name that looks good on a job application
5. No objectionable initials
6. Name means something good
7. Name with a good "rhythm" with our last name

We added to that a Biblical theme for the boys - they are named after books of the Bible, but not in order.

You can see why, when got names that fit all the criteria, we didn't change them!

UPDATE:  Twenty years after coming up with the list, the one change I would make would be to add another criterion:
8.  Name must sound very unlike the other names in the family (start with different letters, end with different sounds) so I mix up the names less. 

1 comment:

Tracy said...

Wow! I'm impressed that you haven't changed your mind in all this time. My husband and I were pretty set on my first son's name before we were even married and did not waver in our preference, although we did not have a girl name that we really felt strongly about. Then, in the 10 years it took for Baby #2, we changed our minds several times. Again, we ended up with a boy name we felt strongly about, but were wishy-washy on girl names. Good thing we had boys both times!